Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Water

How did I survive so many hours of flying? The truth is it was all much more bearable than I expected. And the secret is in the water. I have been flying for many years now, and have already done 13 hour flights before. I have read innumerable times how important drinking water and moisturising your skin is, but I suppose I never realised just what a difference it makes if done properly. Note, this also requires an aisle seat for free toilet access every 20 minutes. Down a bottle of water on the hour, every hour of flight has become my rule. This and moisturising so I don't feel like Hulk breaking out of my dry skin has made the flying bearable.

There is little cure for the jet-lag though. I arrived in Singapore at 2 AM local time and could not, for the life of me, fall asleep, despite it being dark out and not having gotten any sleep in flight. I suppose the excitement of being on the go again, of arriving somewhere new in Asia and of my next day's ongoing journey to Australia kept me awake, emailing off my computer until 5AM when I succumbed to 4 hours sleep before waking up again to daylight. I went for a walk on the beach, and a quick, cheap and cheerful eyebrow shaping and lip hair waxing treatment at the salon across the street. I think I've discovered a little ritual of mine: to sample the local grooming services of every country I visit (remember Vietnam?) or maybe this hairy ape just cannot go without it for more than 3 weeks! Anyway, feeling lighter already, I went for sampling of the local food and a much needed foot massage. Ahhh, the joys of inexpensive indulgence. I discovered my kidney point was quite painful (maybe I had overworked it with so much water) and well, mostly my entire body was in pain, so I went off for a 2 hour nap before grabbing my bags and heading out to the airport once again.

No comments: