Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The other side of the world

I have literally come to the other side of the planet and the thing that most shocks me is that ... it's all pretty much the same. :-)
Of course, I have been here less than 24 hours so this really is a first impression. I suppose after so much traveling, I feel like I am in a British coastal town I had not happened upon during my years living in the UK. Glenelg, Adelaide, is cute... with it's tram, it is a strange cross between a flat street in San Francisco, and a piece of Brighton beach. Looking outside the window at the houses that line the streets, I realise there's a piece of England, Holland, Austria and Denmark everywhere I look. I love the old tram that takes you from Adelaide to the coast, and at night as in the day, I have experienced for myself the friendliness of Australians. They really are laid-back, very eager to help, and strangely amused at having a Spanish visitor in town. The men are all quite charming and good looking, in a rough rugby-lad kinda way. Of course, the accent has also got something to do with it! I managed to pull a policeman on my first night out (after nearly collapsing in a queue from sleep deprivation). The shopping is also quite good here, although it is strange to find North African art and jewellery all the way out in Adelaide, of all places. It all feels strangely familiar. So after enjoying the first impressions and sights, attempting to catch up with the jet lag and realising I had only achieved 10 hours sleep in the last 4 days, I succumbed mid-day yesterday to what I thought would be a small afternoon nap, and woke up today at 9 AM!!! I think that's if for the jet lag. I am in synch with local time, feeling Australian and ready to go explore the outback!

No comments: