Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tea Tree walks




Yesterday I went for a 3 hour, rather steep trek up to Mount Lofty, overlooking Adelaide. It also overlooks the vast wine region that lies around this coastal town. It amazes me how much wine Australia produces and how close it is to where I've landed (... chance or destiny?). When I walked those steep paths yesterday, all I could smell was tea tree oil from the surrounding tea trees. I was not sure what it was at first so I kept stopping and pulling off leaves, branches, bark and all manner of greenery form around me in the quest to figure out what on earth smelled so darn good! Eventually, I came to a trail sign indicating the surrounding trees were tea trees and it all made sense. I did eventually find the bit off the branches that smells like heaven, so I rubbed it on my hands and smelled it all the way to the top. It was so incredibly refreshing and I suppose so was the novelty of being back on my feet climbing heights, which I have discovered is one of my passions. It made me think why I never actually went off climbing or walking back home in Spain, renowned for it's trails and hikes. I guess sometimes one has to travel far (in my case VERY far) to discover things that are perfectly available back home. It's all part of the fun. Today I have woken up aching ... a rarity but I imagine after so many months of recovery and all, I was beginning to turn into hard brick.

No comments: