Monday, January 30, 2006

Flying....




It beckons me....despite the heavy "armament" on my back, the rippling liquid beckons me in. It is deep blue and yet, as I lean over the railing on the deck, I see right through it.....I see the fish, I can almost make out the corals and boulders beneath. The water beckons me in. It is early morning, the sun is barely warm, there is a coolness and calm about the air....it is the start of a new day.

And as I hold on tight and take a step in, I fall....the bubbles are everywhere. They tickle me. It's just a taster. I surface slowly, wait for the heads up and then begin my descent. No...I don't feel like a fish. I feel like I am flying....underwater, but I am flying. The surface is my sky and everything is a beautiful, undescribable blue. I love looking up, the sun rays shining in, the ripples of water above me, breathing underwater; it's like meditating somehow....focusing on your breathing...hearing your source of life. There's silence but for that sound...and it's healing. Is that how it was like in the womb?

And then the first fish approach...so close they almost bump right into me. Yellow, green, purple, pink. They look at me...straight in the face, with curiosity, with intrigue. And then, I am suspended in the thick liquid, leaning on my side, slowly with my fins, pushing my way forward smoothly, staring in awe at the underwater granite cliffs, filled with a garden of beauty. I see mushrooms, purple cauliflowers, green fields, thin white sand. I see many Nemo's...I love the movement of the anemones when I come close and wave....everything flows. This is another world. I feel blessed with the health, the intrigue and the chance to experience this....again, and again and again.

I leave you with some of the pictures I took underwater. Some are not great but I hope that, even if for a split second, they make you float.

No comments: