Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Backpacker travel tips

So I got into Bangkok from Saigon that afternoon at 4PM....and in true backpacker style, didn't really know the next move. I'm learning to go with the flow a bit and not plan too much. I seem to savour the experience all that much more cause I haven't got all these expectations to fulfill.

I did know I wanted to go to Khao Sok National Park, one of Thailand's most beautiful and fascinating parks filled with all kinds of soon to be described wildlife. It's been on my mental wish list for a while. Question was....how to get there and where to sleep? (It's high season now here too)

So as I walked out of the airport, I saw the train station signs and headed there to enquire. Unfortunately, choosing to travel this way also finds you without a bed on the overnight sleeper to Surat Thani (the nearest town to the park). So I settled for the "seat" on the 9 hour long, so-called "sleeper" train. What now? Find a way to perform sleep-inducing rituals. I stumbled upon ritual 1 quite easily...45 minute foot massage place opposite the station. Ritual 2: tire yourself out a bit more by riding a 45 minute train from the airport to the central train station. Ritual 3: Find a shower. What do you want to know? Yes the place was kinda dirty and smelly, and there were numerous flies seemingly glued to the wall. There was enough space to squeeze in with my rucksack. My favourite part? With time to spare and standing stark naked in a pink-tiled stall: finding ways to unpack my rucksack, hang stuff everywhere whilst ensuring nothing would touch the wet floor....or other unwanted areas of the cubicle. I chuckled to myself. My favourite utensil? Using the rucksack's in-built rain cover for the first time...but in the shower cubicle! Thankfully, the water was cold...Bangkok was hot and humid. Ritual number 4: eat something and fill up to prevent hunger pans at midnight....my mistake was getting a pot noodle that was way too spicy. I ended up munching pumpkin seeds and watching some Thai show on the mega screen in the station while I waited for the train.

So here's the scoop. Thai trains have a well deserved good reputation. No bed, true enough, but nothing dissimilar to an airplane ride. The seat actually leaned back further and I managed not one but two white towel-fabric covers to protect me from the insufferable air con (but then again, night-time air con and I were never friends). I got a little evening snack and a breakfast too! I didn't manage to sleep much but I made it in pretty good shape.

I had a 2 hour bus ride ahead to The National Park. Thankfully the bus stop was in front of the station so I didn't have to lug the darned rucksack for too long. Why did I even get a rucksack? I don't exactly go trekking with it...nor does anyone else for that matter. It seems far more comfortable parked away in hotel rooms and airport consigne most of the time....I miss my black duffel bag with wheels. Half the medicine stash I carry is available OTC in Thailand. So yeah...I live and learn and that's part of the fun too! Thankfully, the Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai post office services work wonderfully well. I've spent more time there on this trip than in the last 10 years!

No comments: