Monday, September 07, 2009

Yoga retreat

The gift is today... it really is. As I write this I am conscious of being and moving in better balance, physically, intellectually and emotionally. It is a feeling and a motivaiton I trust will indeed accompany me forever. The last time I came to this retreat was three and a half years ago, knowing nothing of yoga, what it's based on, the 8-fold enlightenment path, the lifestyle. And I left exhilirated and motivated. For weeks I continued my practice virtually daily, and then it slowly weaned.... getting to a point of no practice for months. However, so many of the principles have accompanied me for the past three and half years that whilst I may have climbed 10 steps from where I was and walked back 8, I ended up 2 steps ahead of where I was when I started. And isn't that what life is about? Advancing slowly but surely?

So this time I came back knowing not only what I was getting myself into but with a deeper motivation to understand it even better, revisit it like we used to do when studying in school... because sometimes once is just not enough. And so I find myself today, having finished the 7 day intensive retreat (8 hours daily of asanas, pranayamas and theoretical lectures) not 10 but probably 100 steps ahead of where I was a week ago, a year a ago, a lifetime ago. During my sunset asana today my eyes welled up and the tears tumbled slowly down my cheeks, one after the other, uninterrupted. And then, in my wonder of where they were coming from I realised it was from a place of happiness, of seeing - and perhaps more strongly - feeling content. Like re-opening a dear box of treasures and cherishing them even more with the wisdom and experience of time gone by.

My word today was "beauty". It came to me by surprise. At the end of our practice on the 7th day we dip our hand into the ceramic pot with the cards. Before picking our word we ask and think about what it is our persona needs to focus on over the next few days, weeks or months...however you may wish it to be. And whilst many may think it is mere chance, if there is anything I believe in, it is that we pick everything... we attract everything that comes to us for our own learning, evolution and happiness. And so, my word was beauty. How lucky. How beautiful indeed to know that my focus is to actively seek
beauty out, display beauty, incorporate beauty, appreciate beauty, flaunt beauty and wish for beauty in everything and everyone in and around me. In me first - around me next.

Beauty.

No comments: