Thursday, September 24, 2009

Happy 33rd birthday


I woke up today feeling great. Yes, it's 33 but I don't feel a year over 28.... I haven't felt a year over that age probably since I quit work at P&G and took off travelling. Definitely a turning point in my life. So working up to my birthday I retreated to revisit my yoga teachers in northern Thiland and re-acquaint myself with the practice that gives me so much peace. Now, back in Chiang Mai and waking
on a day like today, I realised I wanted to do it in the morning. for the first time in a while I actually  wanted to do it 1st thing in the morning, because it somehow sets the tone for the day.

Today is a day for celebrating not just where I have come to but, the successes of my friends and family, in helping me become who I am today. So with that in mind, I went to a local Wat (Buddhist temple) and took time out to say a deep-felt thank you. In giving thanks and offering a donation to the monks I was blessed by one of them, and now wear the white braided bracelet on my left wrist (quite a common thing here).

Following from a yearly birthday tradition my friend Aun introduced me to, I visited the local orphanage and made a donation to those who have unfortunately not been as lucky. They are well cared for, yet unavoidably lack all the love, care and affection that a tightly knit family like mine has given. Sometimes it takes looking at other people's lives to remind myself of how lucky I am and how much I can share.  And so, in asking what they needed, we were given a small list of suggestions and I opted for the dental care - something so close to my heart - not just because it helps me enjoy food so much but alsobecause a big smile is so irressitibly attractive. In fact, seeing those children smile with a full set of white teeth is contagious. So I donated 144 toothbrushes and toothpaste (plus a box of biscuits to make the day sweeter... and brushing all the more worthwhile). It may sound like such a cliché but it made me feel good inside, particularly comparing it to the amount of money I spend on traveling, eating and clothing myself on these trips. I know I don't need to come all the way out here to do this sort of thing, but it just so happens I was here on my birthday and it's nice to have the autonomy to choose when and how to do it. After all, I spend so much money on myself and on gifts for my friends and famil, this small gesture is hardly a dent in the bank and I know brings much needed support.

As for me, I've treated myself to this trip (and a few additions to my wardrobe may I add!) and will be off to celebrate with some good friends I made a few years back whose friendship grows stronger with
time. Who would have said it only 4 years ago!

Blessed day and so lucky to have the health, drive, motivation and will to enjoy it fully.

No comments: