Monday, May 01, 2006

Songkran


Chiang Mai's Thai New Year street water fest has inveitably become my benchmark for daytime fun in the sun! (and a welcome respite from the heat!) My friend Janice spotted the sunscreen pack that came with a free waterproof disposable camera at the local drugstore. So away we went, 14 of us on the back of the Walai House pickup truck to parade around the streets of Chiang Mai's old city and drench anyone in sight with a bucket-load of iced water.... or a good old gun squirt! It was, after all, time to get back at all those people who had drenched us at every street corner while we went about our daily motorbike rides along the city during the previous 2 days. The event lasted for days...we personally had enough of the pickup after 4 hours and many stops to pick up water from the moat (which was very dirty, but everyone seemed to be either bathing in or using it for their own waterguns!). I was surprised to emerge from the event without eye, ear or skin infections of any sort. Phew! If not, look at the water from the moat in the attached pictures!

In the afternoons of subsequent days, we took to the foam and water parties taking place 10 minutes from Walai House. I am happy to report that the San Miguel foam party stand was one of the busiest and in my opinion the one with the best jamming music and the funnest crowd! In our drenched and rather see-through clothing, I went from being hosed down by the water hose man every 5 minutes, to lathering myself and those around me in foam. I even had to resort to peeing in my pants in the middle of the street! A feeling I had not experienced siince childhood, and that felt rather fun...of course, with my black pants, and water everywhere in sight, massive crowds and shops shut (thus preventing a fast exit to a nearby toilet or bush) I wouldn't be surprised if half the crowd was peeing in unison at some point! It felt kinda sneaky, embarrassing, and fun at the same time!

Happy Songkran everyone. May this new year bring you all much happiness!

No comments: