Tuesday, April 25, 2006

cogno kids

Ok..I've kept the blog hi and dry for a few days. BUT for my sins....I've got some FUNNY and GREAT pictures of being completely SOAKED in Songkran on the streets of Chiang Mai. In fact, the San Miguel foam party stand a few minutes away from our guest house had was by far the best stand around! Will tell more about this on my next entry and load pics too!

In the meantime, I've arrived in Manila (Philippines) for my month tour of the more than 1000 islands here. Well, I won't be going to all of them but I will be going to places like Tagaytay, Vigan, Banaue, Anilao, Galera, Boracay, Cebu, Bohol and Siargao for those of you who like to research online. It's VERY interesting to be in an Asian country that has so much Spanish colonial, Chinese and American influences! Tagalog, the national language, is plagued with Spanish and American words. When you want the driver to go straight, you say "derecho boss"! The funniest thing I've learnt so far is that the Spanish descendants living in Manila are better known as the "cogno kids" cause they use the swear word "cogno" so much...and their schools are cogno schools! Hilarious! the people are beautiful and friendly. Manila is a mish mash of cultures, poverty and affluence, surrounded by enormous shoping malls and little mom& pop corner street cafes. Going for a tour now so will leave you with that. My new phone number here is: +63 921 333 6658

Big kiss and will be loading pics and words shortly!

No comments: