Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Amazing Thailand

Amazing Thailand. Yesterday I learnt how to ride a manual motorbike on Samui Island. I was there for a 5 hour layover awaiting my flight to Bangkok. I nearly burnt my ankle a couple of times trying to change gears (I mean, the hot motor is beside the gear shift...whoever thought of that!) and ended up in the southern tip of the island at a tropical butterfly garden. I missed not having the time or inclination to spend more money on Tamarind Spa's natural boulder steam bath with essential oils....I gotta recover from the 5 star luxury one nighter of Jhamakiri! But that leaves me a reason to return. That, and the airport. Picture this: Terminal 1 looks like a boutique resort; wooden buildings and thatched roof, massage corner, shop, complimentary frozen shakes, cakes and snacks, free internet access and little amusement-park looking mini trains that transfer you from the "terminal" to the aircraft. All surrounded by palm trees and lots of ceiling fans. Security didn't allow me to take many pictures.

The luxe of air travel would soon be replaced by Bangkok flyovers, train station showers and another overnight train, this time back to Chiang Mai. Yes...I've returned! I couldn't help it. This place seems strangely familiar. So yesterday I paid another 20cents for a public shower while the guys at reception watched my big bag. The minute I dried myself with my travel towel, I was sweating again...Bangkok is HU-MID! With no full moon parties happening nearby, this time I secured a berth on the night train. But my favourite part was entering the restaurant wagon. The minute I slid the door open, I was transported into a Thai disco; colourful flashing christmas lights everywhere, lots of friendly faces, and best fo all staff who were virtually dancing to the beat of what I can only describe as very loud and happy traditional thai village fest music remixed by a DJ for a double beat effect. (Jota de Fuentemilanos "in the mix"). I sat down on one of the spare vynil pull down seats and smiled. This promised to be a good evening. Despite my general distaste of beer, I agreed to purchase a bottle of Singha from the waiter who quickly and very eagerly offered to share it with me. I thought he was joking...after all, a Rail-police-come-inspector looking man was sitting right behind us. But alas no, not only did he bring me a HUGE half litre bottle, but he also brought another glass and helped himself...thank goodness! Beer in hand, I looked out the open window and felt the warm air run through my "little" hair.

I don't know why I like travelling by train at night so much; I never get any sleep! I always think the carriage wobbles so much we must be derailing! Either that, or I'll conk out and miss my stop. But I think the adventure of the train lures me. It reminds me of when I used to sleep in the bunk beds of Aldeallana and cover the bed all around me with blanket. There are always people willing to talk, play cards, hang out reading a book, or share a beer.

No comments: