Tuesday, August 25, 2009

3 planes back to Chiang Mai

The blog is back on, new look and all!! I kinda promised myself to dedicate some time to creating new posts on the various flights over. Instead I spent most of the time sleeping, watching movies or finishing my book on male PUAs (pick-up artists). Whaddaya know! It's good to know the tactics of the opposite sex.

The past 24 hours have consisted of me dousing myself numerous times with Prada perfume at the two terminals I stopped over at (masking the I've been flying for 15hrs stench), pretended to be interested in
buying cosmetics just to sneak a cotton pad soaked in cleanser and tonic to attempt a clean skin look, bought 3 books and eyed a new camera. How very vain of me.

I've been daydreaming about being back in Chiang Mai for longer than anyone might imagine, and in closing my eyes I could see the metal design of the street signs, the neighbourhood with the fruit vendors, the soup place I love to dine at on the street… But nothing I re-create in my head quite matches the quiet sense of contentement I feel being back here in person. I think it's the familiar smells that take
me back to my last visit. The woman on the street with the satay BBQ, the sticky juice of a freshly cut pineapple washing down the sides of the street vendor's knife, or the smell of fresh laundry that accompanies you on any walk throughout this neighbourhood.

I purposely didn't pack liquids and gels… I always love going shopping for miniature soaps, shampoos, creams and even toothpaste. So I went out for my dose of powdery smelling westernised toilettries and
stopped by a new spot to order my favourite vegetable broth, made with cabbage, green beans, sweet basil, pork balls and sour sauce. I hadn't forgotten how friendly Thai people are, it jut does not cease to amaze me how they go out of their way to smile and with anyone, even those of us who are struggling to remember the few Thai phrases we learned in the past. It's been almost 3 years alter all! Better get some sleep or else the jet lag will get the best of me! More soon.

No comments: