Thursday, October 11, 2007

Revisiting








Coming back. The hope and anticipation mix with expectations and the dread; that you may return and find the charm has gone, that nothing is the same, that it would have been better to keep the great memories intact. All this went through my head before getting here. And the truth is that this is not the second or third time… it is the fourth! I knew what I was coming back for. And so I put the expectations aside and honoured my true feelings and desires or wishing to come to just enjoy myself and have a good time.

Siargao is not an easy place to get to and so making it all the way over was overly challenging this time, but the reward has been ever greater and I have found I am indeed enjoying it once again. It is different, of course, because the novelty of the resort has been replaced by a very comfortable familiarity with the staff, the food and my surroundings. However, the marvel of the view, the sunsets and the way the light reflects off the water remains mesmerizing. I walk down the powdered sand beach alone… alone, without stumbling across rubbish or people. Simply. The fresh young coconut, or buko, still tastes delectably soft with that hint of natural sweetness that continues to make it such a special treat.

I am sharing a room with Gai and our other friend Deb, who recently moved to another island. It is so cool to be back together, sharing so much more than a room; reliving our travel adventures through our photos, riding together up against each other on a habal-habal extended motorbike in true Pinoy style, shaking mojitos and dancing barefoot in the sand as we roll away on a warm Siargao afternoon.

No comments: