Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas by the sea




Today I find myself on the other side of the globe, sailing on the shores of Miami Beach, looking at the array of imagination it takes to light up a boat. In Miami decoration is individual so most days you cruise down lush avenues covered in large trees and find most porches or fences lit up. This year, the boat parade at Key Biscayne was unique for me; it was my first time. The day was overcast and threatening rain. Yet we took off before sunset to observe the array and display of light. Dusk rolled along and I stopped for a moment to remind myself of why I have always thought it to be the most beautiful and peaceful time of day. We were not surrounded by that quietness that snowfall evokes, but the city was far away in the distance and the calmness of the water felt peaceful. The air was foggy. The city lights bouncing off the clouds offered an electric blue light. I looked around to the water as I soaked up drops of rain on my skin. The sensation was eerie, yet magical. For a moment I was back in Vietnam, floating down the spooky waters and through the giant lime-stone karsts of Halong Bay. And so I began to remember the year that had passed; how time flies; how tough it is sometimes to be an active protagonist of such different lives.

I wish you all much health to run out and pursue your dreams in this life that is so short and so rich with opportunity.

No comments: