Thursday, November 17, 2005

Leaving friends behind...

First it was Pablo & Jerome...then it was Lola and Cindie. It is sad when you meet such great people and ither they or you move on with your travels. And yet...it is a blessing to encounter such marvelosu people along the road. WhenI first set out travelling I was TERRIFIED of doing it on my own, but it is people like these who make your trip worthwhile and enriching. Pablo and Jerome allowed me to tag along to their journey to Lijiang and the Tiger Leaping Gorge (probably the best part of my travels in China). They ensured I was watered and fed properly along the way so as not to wither away on the 28 bends....and of course they captured many of the wonderful moments on their lenses. Mostly, they made sure I was kept warm at night, well entertained with Johnnie Walker during the day and filled with hilarious conversation. Thanks guys!

Then There was Lola, my mexican girl...who came and went along the path to Lijiang but with whom there was a quick connection. A shame you're going back home Lola.....it would have been wonderful to do Thailand with you. Thanks for making sure I felt at home in the Kunming dorm...and that I survived the "bike tour" up to the Bamboo Temple in Kunming!! hahahaha, thatb crysanthemum tea and the on the spot cuisine was awesome!

Then came Cindie, my american idol! She dropped her job and her car 4 years ago and took off on a bike with her husband Tim...and they've been travelling since. They live off the profits of their website and their book and boy has shee got some great stories, tips and insights into the world and what makes people tick. Thanks Cindie for the 24 hours we spent together.....and for making sure I slept soundly to recover form the cold. I'll never forget breakfast at City Cafe with Lola and you, and your help getting 8 kilos outta my rucksack and into a post office box on its way back home. You're a star! It now weighs 20Kg instead of 28!!! (according to the airport scales). I am publising your website here as I am sure many of my friends and family would love to log on and take a look. http://www.downtheroad.org

Thank you all for making my tavels up to here unforgettable! Please keep in touch!

No comments: