Sunday, October 29, 2006

Happy 1st Anniversary..... to me!

Today marks one year, officially. On October 28th 2005, I took a flight bound for Beijing. Granted, I had to stay in London overnight because I missed my connection (so maybe it's mkore like tomorrow....hmmm). Well, since it was the airline's delay, I got some dosh and sprawled out at some airport stores. I just found a sexy little number I bought on that layover... and somehow (very mistakenly may I add), I shipped it back early in my trip. Wasn't it you, Heather, who reminded me that even as a backpacker I should take a nice sexy top and makeup? Shoulda listened to you more. Next time around, because there is a part II to this great adventure, and it's coming up shortly, I'll be packing VERY differently :-)

So...the million dollar question: Have I changed? I don't think people change very much at 30. However, I do believe they can open their eyes and learn new things; become more aware of themselves, their surroundings, their opportunities and their true, achievable dreams. I find myself thinking and doing some things like never before. Water: my awareness and appreciation for water has heightened. When I leave it on while I am brushing my teeth, I think of those people who I saw walking to the nearest water pump to fill their celadon/clay pots; and I turn it off. I could write a whole novel about what I have learnt on this trip. And yet, haven't I already? Well thanks to all of you who read my blog, I know that whether or not I get published, I've already written the bedtime story book for my friends, family and grandchildren to come... with some pretty nice pictures to go with it. I know I can set up my own massage practice, or even a restaurant. I could plan trips for travellers to come. I can sing my way around the world. I realise that I have a world of opportunity beyond the 6 figure salary of the corporate world that I may or may not go back to, but that got me here in the first place, and that's something I am thankful for. So, no.... I haven't changed all that much. I have opened my eyes to things I could not see that clearly before, and therefore I act and react differently. I have renewed dreams, projects, family ties and friends. And that, today, makes me a happy person. Happy 1st anniversary.... to me!!!

No comments: