Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ta Prohm, Ban Ti Srey, and Bayon....



I enjoyed 3 other temples far more than Angkor. Firstly, Ta Prohm. I did not realise until a few days before leaving Chiang Mai that it had been featured in one of the last scenes of Tomb Raider! So, if you want to check out the look and feel of the place without coming all the way over, rent the movie and skip to the last scenes! The overgrown tree roots over the brick ruins of this far out place are eerie. In fact, the day we visited we were almost alone and taking off independently, my amusement grew into some kind of strange feeling of solitude, creepiness and loss. I had to find my way back searching for the sunset! Ban Ta Sraey, 37km north of Siem Riep, was one of my favourite temples. It is exquisite; small, approachable and with a marvel of intricate and well preserved bas reliefs! The red brick colour of the stone is quite different to the generally greyish green ageing stone of the other temples. Lastly, of course, Bayon.....the temple of the many faces! Spot them in the pictures! Again, awe inspiring structures where I wonder how on earth they could lift these stones and create such images without modern tools. The beauty of it all is that they are still so well preserved that many locals continue to use them for prayer. So at Bayon, I lit some incense and prayed for everyone I know.

No comments: